What can the Police do?

It is important to tell the police all you can about what happened and let them know if it has happened before. You should also let them know if you are afraid for your safety or have any injuries, even if they aren't readily visible.

The Police can also assist in transporting you to an emergency shelter.

The Police can file a DIR (domestic incident report) for incidents of abuse that have occurred. They can also potentially file charges if it has been deemed that a chargeable offense has occurred. A request for an order of protection can accompany charges that are filed in criminal court (or you can pursue an order of protection civilly through family court in some circumstances).

Town of Hamburg Police: 911 or 716-648-5111 (non emergency)

Show All Answers

1. What is domestic violence (DV)?
2. What services are available?
3. What can the Police do?
4. How do I know if I am being or have been abused?